Founded in 1920, our church continues to thrive in the Spirit of Jesus Christ. Through our founding leaders and members to the present, this spiritual heritage lives on.
Our founder and first pastor, Rev. James Moore; with ten (10) devoted Christians met on April 18, 1920 at 838 West Vliet Street and organized Galilee Baptist Church. From the beginning it was a church dedicated to the saving of souls and providing a better quality of life in the community.
In 1939, during the pastoral of Rev. Charles Brumfield, the name of the church was legally changed from Galilee to Greater Galilee Missionary Baptist Church. .
An increase in church members led to the relocation to a larger edifice, located at 808-10 West Walnut Street in 1942.
“The Lord added to the church daily, such as should be saved” and the church moved to its present location in 1961.
Our spiritual heritage reflects an institution of love, dedication, and faith. Many of the legacies established in the past such as the Greater Galilee Scholarship Fund (established in 1955) and the Greater Galilee Credit Union (established in 1965) continue today.
We look proudly back on our church history for spiritual growth and strength.